2008年10月31日星期五

Public area vs. Private plot

When I decide to study abroad, US is my only choice. Many friends gave me many suggestions, depended on their experiences, books, even imaginations. One of these suggestions impressed me very much: American do not like modesty, especially eyeless modesty. But, we, Chinese people, like it. What ever others commend us for, we always say: Nali, nali. If I translate Nali into English directly, it will be very funny but not suitable, because NALI in English means WHERE. It seems we cannot find anything worthy to pride. If Chengpeng Li lives in US, he will adapt to the new environment easily. He claims he is the best soccer journalist, in China, at least one of the best three soccer journalists.

From his words, I know Chengpeng Li is very humorous, and cynical. Cynicism is the common feature in his news stories and the articles in his blog. They have the same style, but they have different contents. From Soccer, readers find his words all about Chinese football. In Beijing Olympic games, China won 51 Gold Medal, the best achievement of all time. Even in their motherland, Chinese men’s football team did not win any match. Football has not been a taboo topic in China, but it is not relaxed. The tone of Chengpeng Li’s news stories is not serious. I have to say I like it. Chinese football is peerless in producing topics, because many events and rumours about this area emerge constantly. It is not interesting, but not a bad thing for soccer journalists. If I have no chance to read his blog, I will regard Chengpeng Li as Soccer Madman. Li is a senior soccer journalist, who is familiar with almost every detail of Chinese football, including what the favorite Online Game of the Chairman of the Chinese Football Association is.

Chengpeng Li is not a Soccer Madman, because I read his blog. Maybe I should describe him as octopus, because he talks about many aspects as a octopus with many tentacles. Of course, his news stories are different from his blog. There must be many reasons. First of all, he works in Soccer, a professional soccer medium in China. His articles about Huanan Tiger, malemine-contaminated milk, or earthquake, are not suitable in Soccer. Secondly, writing news stories undertakes more responsibilities than writing blog in China. Chinese media are described as propaganda position, which is a strange thing to the West people. The word is not created by alien, I promise. People cannot express any emotion without confine, and it is not wisdom to argue against the current system. But, in many situations, the source of many problems is current system, so the news stories must be written with careful consideration. What about the blog? Sometimes, I think it is the bloger’s private plot. People can plant anything depended on their interests. Compared with other media, Internet is much more free. Many people subscribe Chengpeng Li’s blog, because he can express many ideas that others want to say but cannot to say or they do not know how to say. From Chengpeng Li’s blog, people can find many comments on many aspects of China society, even a love story-his novel.

Freedom is invaluable, so I like Chengpeng Li’s blog. People always applaud that he is the bravest soccer commentator in China, even before he opens his blog. Because blog is his private plot, Chengpeng Li plants different kinds of plants as many as he can. His blog is much more informative than his news stories, but all of them are interesting. In Soccer, Chengpeng Li is a soccer journalist, who loves this sport deeply. He is totally different from the journalists who play the roles as propagandists of current system. He seemed as Soccer Madman, but he has a calm position, in fact. He undertakes his responsibilities to help the development of football in China. In his kingdom-the blog, he is a Superman in the World of News, careless the regualtions. Although all of his words are cynical, in the world of Chinese football with huge pressure, he cannot be at ease.

When I want to be relaxed, I read Chengpeng Li’s blog. It is an important entertainment for me. When I read some news reports in newspaper, I do not pay attention to those events. But, when I read Chengpeng Li’s blog, I recognize those events are meaningful even significant.

It is not easy to offer a clue about Chinese football for Chengpeng Li, because he is such a professional soccer commentator. But it does not mean I have no chance to do so. First of all, I will not offer any news about Chinese professional football players, because I do not think I can acquire newer and more interesting news than Chengpeng Li, a senior soccer journalist. His articles have great impact in Chinese football fans. If the name of my business emerges in his articles, the effect will not be inferior to some kind of advertisements. Chengpeng Li, who is bound up in public activities, concerns the earthquake in Wenchuan, China. I think some news according public interest, especially the disadvantaged groups’, will attract his attention.

It is possible to structure a pitch for Chengpeng Li’s article in Soccer. For example, Adidas decides to build some football schools for adolescent in 10 medium-sized cities, and invite famous coaches for them for free. In China, football schools close costantly, so many children cannot acquire the chance to learn how to be a professional football player. Some talented children cannot go to football school, because of the expensive tuition and fee. Chinese men’s football team is one of the worst teams of the world. One of the essential reason of this problem is the terrible player training. Any behavior, intends to help the player training, is good news for Chengpeng Li.

Dear Big-Eye Brother*:
Do you think Ronaldo, Totti or Vieira will come to China together to attend Chinese Super League, and they will be paid not more than 5 million dollors annual? I am not crazy. I know they won’t. Adidas decides help China to create Chinese football super stars using 5 million dollors annual. We need your suggestions about this plan. Could you come to our news conference next Friday?
I will send you the details tomorrow. If you have any question, please call me-720 899 3020.
Cheers,
Jie Liu
*Fans always call Chengpeng Li as Big-Eye Brother, because of his attractive eyes.


Because Chengpeng Li always puts his news stories of Soccer in his blog, so it seems not necessary to structure a pitch for his blog. And in my opinion, because Chengpeng Li’s blog always involves big social events, it seems impossible to plant a commercial flower in his private plot.

2 条评论:

PRProf 说...

There's something to be said for not being able to "plant a commercial flower in a private plot"...

Great analysis! It looks like you're having fun with the blog too.

Question: are you writing in English, or using a translation tool?

Super Kitty 说...

If I can find a suitable translation tool to help me, I will feel very very very excited. But, I have not found it. I know my English is poor. It is really a tough thing to master a foreign language to me. I will try my best.